Re: [Tails-project] Donation campaign: final blog post

Author: sajolida
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Donation campaign: final blog post
intrigeri:
> sajolida:
>> Could some of you review the short blog post I drafted as a final update
>> on the donation campaign:
>
> Here we go, regarding the maths:
>
> * the amount doesn't seem to take into account the donations we've
> received in cash specifically thanks to our campaign; see
> accounting.git

Added now.

> * the Bitcoin amount seems super low; why not take into account what
> we've received during the first 10 days of the campaign (i.e.
> when we received most of the Bitcoin we got)?

I didn't know that blockchain.info was buggy by then.

So I added 36 btc now.

> * I'm not convinced by the use of guess work (applying a pro rata) to
> build a number that is meant to be what we have received, but
> I don't care enough to argue about it.

Me neither but this figure is a complex approximation anyway (btc value,
missing btc info, missing donations since December 24, etc.) so I
convinced myself of taking it easy and just give an order of magnitude.

> * I'm not sure about the conversion of the BTC we got into USD using
> today's rate; it represents neither what these BTC costed to the
> donors, nor the amount we'll be able to get out of them.
> So I would suggest we instead say "$X and Y btc" (perhaps with
> a total using a conversion that's explicitly at today's rate).
> Just my 2 cts, I won't argue about it further.

I used an average on a 30-day range as reported by bitcoincharts:
https://bitcoincharts.com/markets/krakenUSD.html.

> And regarding the rest of the content:
>
> * Seems good! I've pushed two small fixes.

Thanks!

> * I'd rather point to the Secure Desktops subassembly
> (https://events.ccc.de/congress/2016/wiki/Assembly:Secure_Desktops)
> than to the anarchist village.

Me too. I was not sure about the name when I wrote it. Fixed now.