Re: [Tails-project] Redesign of the donate page

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Redesign of the donate page
Hi,

sajolida:
> 1. Changed the buttons to purple. I tried green as well but I thought is
> was too much (see attachment).

Looks good!

> One day we'll have a better color palette :(

IIRC there are tools that generate one for you, given a few parameters
(I'm optimistic enough to believe that providing two colors may be
enough parameters) so perhaps that's not a hard task. Anyone willing
to give it a try, enjoy!

> 3. Wrote a text for the left part, filling up the white space.
> I actually wrote that a while ago and I thought I sent it to you in my
> previous email but apparently I didn't...

I like it. Maybe this is important enough to be reviewed by native
English language geeks?

> 6. Combined DrWhax's suggestion for the introductory sentence with the
> previous one. Now we have: "Show your friends that you care about
> privacy and Internet freedom and encourage others to do the same!".

The two occurrences of "and" in a row, that have different roles in
the sentence, makes it a bit confusing to me.

Maybe adding a comma helps a bit: "Show your friends that you care
about privacy and Internet freedom, and encourage others to do the
same!".

Or: "Show your friends that you care about privacy and Internet
freedom! Encourage others to do the same!".

> 7. I didn't add a $43 because it's very close from $50 and I didn't have
> data about whether the possible extra attractiveness for geeks would
> overweight the extra space and looking weird to everybody else who
> doesn't understand the insider's joke.

I agree it's not clear cut; let's not do it (too bad, I really liked
the idea :)

(Meta: it's very unlikely that we can ever make such a decision based
on actual data, so let's not raise the bar for suggestions to
unrealistic levels.)

> 8. Display bitcoin address.

FYI the attached screenshots don't show the bottom of the page.

> 9. Regarding the financial reports, I'm not yet decided. On the one hand
> I want to avoid as much as possible providing links outside of this
> page: once people land on this page we want them to make a donation and
> not jump elsewhere and forget to go back (you know how people browser
> the web...).

Indeed, that's a very important point.

> But that's also a legitimate information to have here...

Not only it's legitimate, but also I _guess_ that being told what the
money is used for can help motivate people to donate.

> So I thought about adding more info on the page itself,

Yes! I think that's the best way to handle this.

> like a pie chart, maybe in a toggle.
> See https://supporters.eff.org/donate/button. And maybe also a link
> to the financial statements anyway but quite small then.

I like the idea of a toggleable area, hidden by default. A pie chart
would be ideal, but if time is scarce, a bullet list of the biggest
expense accounts with percentages would already be great :)

> 10. Added something about independence from government funding.

Great!

Just curious: is it on purpose that no goal is set for this donation
campaign? Is it because we don't have an easy way to display its
progress yet? If it is so, I wonder: perhaps setting a clear goal,
even without progress indication, would help potential donors
understand what the order of magnitude is, how much money we need to
keep the thing rolling. I'm not sure.