Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus
Hi,

Ulrich Viefhaus: (copied your answer to the bottom of the email to
increase readability.)
> Am Donnerstag, den 21.07.2016, 21:54 +0200 schrieb intrigeri:
>> Tom Servo wrote (21 Jul 2016 17:47:29 GMT) :
>>> A couple of updates ago (maybe just one), the default ordering in Nautilus, the file explorer, was changed to alphabetical.
>>
>>> This is not ideal for me, since I need to change it to "by Type" each time I enter
>>> a new directory. I like to have a lot of directories.
>>
>>> It might just be that I'm missing an obvious setting, but I would like to know how to
>>> change the ordering to "by Type" once and for all (even just once per session would
>>> be okay).
>>
>> As far as I can tell, we've never modifyed the default value for this
>> GNOME setting we get from upstream/Debian, so whatever change might
>> have happen in Tails, has been decided upstream or in Debian.
>> To revert that change in Tails, we'll need a pretty strong reasoning,
>> that takes into account the reasoning for the reverted change.

> you could change that setting in each Tails session via the following
> command in a terminal:
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences default-sort-order type
>
> gsetting should be contained in gsettings-backend that is provided by
> dconf or gconf: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gsettings-backend

Do we agree that this setting, when using Nautilus in Debian, for
example, is saved in a hidden file in the user's home directory whenever
the user changes it from default? And that nautilus verifies this
whenever I reenter the same directory (thus remembering what I chose
before)?

In that case this should / could be done in persistence (maybe it is
already, i did not verify) - not through a setting which would be proper
to Tails and differ from upstream. We do not ever want to have such
delta with upstream.

Cheers!
u.