Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
Spencer:
> Hi,
>
> Following from a distance (:
>

>> segfault:
>> I suggest using an edit button next to the label,
>> which turns the label into a text entry when clicked,
>> which behaves just like in the other GNOME applications
>> (it applies the change and turns into a label again
>> on focus out or return press).
>>

> Visuals (pencil sketches or screenshots) help to clarify the context.

Sorry, I don't have the time for these right now. Maybe later I can send
screenshots. Maybe you can just take a look at GNOME Printers or Users,
where there are these "labels" (which are actually buttons) which change
into text entries on click. I want to do something similar, but display
an edit button beside them to trigger this.

>> What do you think?
>>

> If I understand the context correctly:
>
> If there is an 'Edit' button, people will click on the button.
>
> If there is no 'Edit' button, people will click on the string.
>
> I see little value in having the form fields transform into buttons or
> plain ol' strings; might they remain form fields and inherently suggest
> the only action is to edit them?

The whole point of this is to get to know when the user finished editing
the string so that it can be applied immediately. If we simply show a
text entry, like I do in the prototype, we don't know when the user
finished editing the string and there is no visible indication to the
user when his change is applied.