Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: sajolida, anonym, George Kadianakis, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
segfault:
[...]
> I went with removing the status panel and config dialog and using a
> single config panel, like you suggested. When I have cleaned this up
> some more, I will send another round of screenshots and links to test it.
> But now that I implemented the persistence feature, I see another
> problem with this approach:
> The options are only applied when the service is enabled. If the user
> checks the persistence checkbox and restarts Tails without starting the
> service, the service will not be persistent.
>
> In contrast, the config dialog would apply the options when it is closed
> via the "Apply and restart service" button, so there would be no
> confusion of whether the options are already applied or not.
>
> Now the only option I see to fix this in the config panel is by applying
> the options immediately when they are changed. This would work for some
> options, but then there is a problem with options which take a string
> and write it to a config file, for example the server password. I can't
> parse and rewrite the config file on each character changed in the
> password text entry.
>
> Do you have any idea how I could fix this?

I looked at how the GNOME applications handle string editing, and they
seem to either use a config dialog (Network) or use these labels, which
turn into buttons on mouse over, which turn into text entries on click,
which apply the change and turn back into a label on focus out or return
press (Printers, Users).
We both already said that we find the latter lacks a signifier, so I
suggest using an edit button next to the label, which turns the label
into a text entry when clicked, which behaves just like in the other
GNOME applications (it applies the change and turns into a label again
on focus out or return press).

What do you think?