Re: [Tails-project] some stats on the website

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] some stats on the website
Hi,

thanks for these stats, very interesting data!

sajolida wrote (24 May 2016 19:09:43 GMT) :
> Hits per language
> =================

> for lang in en fa fr de ; do echo -n "${lang} " ; grep -E "GET
> .+\.${lang}\.html HTTP/1\..\" 200" access.log* | wc -l ; done

> en 1501323 (83.1%)
> fa 11468 ( 0.6%)
> fr 124823 ( 6.9%)
> de 170007 ( 9.4%)

Note that this misses hits to pages that are not translatable (whose
extension is .html, and not .en.html), so it artificially lowers the
number of English pages hits. (I doubt that the difference would be
significant, but it seems easy to adjust the script to take these
other hits into account, and you asked for feedback about the scripts
themselves :)

> Top 50 pages in Farsi and their hits
> ====================================

> Note that this doesn't mean that these pages are actually translated in
> Farsi. For example, the top 2, 3, 8, 10, and 12 pages are not translated
> into Farsi.

… this made me notice that the rendering of untranslated strings on
Farsi pages is pretty bad. I believe this is due to the fact that
we're declaring text direction as RTL globally, for the whole page.
Ideally ikiwiki's PO plugin would set dir="ltr" for any untranslated
string, but I think it's a lot of work to get it right :/

> Top 50 pages across all languages
> =================================

> grep -E "GET .+\...\.html HTTP/1\..\" 200" /tmp/access.log | sed -n -re
> 's/.* ([^ ]+)\...\.html HTTP.*/\1/p' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head
> -n 50

This also misses hits to non-translatable pages (but here again,
I doubt many of them would be in the top-50 anyway).

> 554957 /news

Interesting. I suspect this includes a lot of feed readers, but
I guess it's not worth investigating :)

> 154156 /install
> 146827 /install/os
> 99661 /install/win

[...]
> 65685 /install/win/usb/overview
> 62222 /install/win/usb

[...]
> 33440 /install/debian

[...]
> 20882 /install/debian/usb

[...]
> 20428 /install/dvd
> 20370 /install/debian/usb/overview
> 19971 /install/linux

[...]
> 19305 /install/vm
> 14709 /install/mac
> 12914 /install/win/clone/overview

[...]
> 11638 /install/clone
> 10947 /install/download

The Debian/Windows/Mac/VM ratio is very interesting!

For example, I expected more OSX than Debian/Ubuntu, and I would have
wrongly guessed that the Windows/Debian ration would be much higher
than 3.

It's also interesting to see this many DVD and VM hits.