Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: anonym, sajolida, George Kadianakis, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
anonym:
> segfault:
>> sajolida:
>>> segfault:
>>> - I have to click Configure to see the password of the Mumble and give
>>> it to my users. The same probably applies to other settings of other
>>> services.
>>
>> The server password is of course information that is often needed and
>> should also be displayed in the status panel. Like I wrote above, I
>> didn't implement this for strings and ints yet, but will do so if we
>> decide to keep the status panel.
>
> Perhaps it's worth making a special case for passwords, i.e. initially
> show it as "***" in the status panel, and only show the password after
> some deliberate action, like a small label saying "Reveal password". Or
> perhaps just show a "copy password to clipboard" button/label?
>
> I also think there should be an option to generate new (safe) passwords
> in the configuration panel, with some button/label next to the setting.

I like both of these ideas. I already implemented such a button to
generate a new onion address and I think we could use the same thing for
the passwords.

>>> I also prefer the shorter labels (at least for "Persistent",
>>> "Auto-start") which can still have longer labels as tool tips. These
>>> options will be the same for every service so people will get use to
>>> them and shorter labels are easier to scan and recognize.
>>
>> I think George suggested more descriptive labels, but maybe I overdid
>> this. Are tool tips still a thing? I don't recall seeing any in GNOME 3
>> applications. Maybe I just didn't notice.
>
> Personally I find GNOME Settings very uninformative because of the lack
> of a way to get information quickly for each option. I know sajolida
> will hate me, but IMHO, feel free to diverge from GNOME on this point.

I also find many GNOME applications to uninformative, especially Disks.
I agree that we should diverge whenever we think GNOME's standard is not
the right thing for our users.