Re: [Tails-l10n] italian translation

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] italian translation
Hi,

ignifugo wrote (16 May 2016 07:34:02 GMT) :
> The italian translator are ready to publish!

Amazing, thanks for your work!

> You can merge our repository.
> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/l10n-italian/tails/

> We think that the core pages are good and revisioned.
> If you find problem, tell us.

I've started by merging our current official master branch into yours.
Then, I've run check_po, that identified a minor problem that I've
fixed (commit 9b0cceb), and now check_po is happy :)

Then, I've tried building the website (./build-website), and got
warned that there were a few .it.po files that do not correspond to
any existing English file anymore, so I've deleted them one after the
other (commit a4810ba) until the website built again. For your
information:

* you folks could have detected this by following the same steps:
merge the current official master branch, and try building the
website;
* some of these PO files were obsolete because English content was
entirely removed, but some others were obsolete because the
corresponding English text moved somewhere else (e.g.
doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/tails_does_not_start), so you might
want to rescue your existing translation work from Git history, and
re-add it to the right place.

Then, I've run "./wiki/src/contribute/l10n_tricks/language_statistics.sh it"
and was warned that some input files had an encoding different from
UTF-8, so I looked closer and found out that
wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options/administration_password.it.po
was encoded with ISO-8859, so I've converted it to UTF-8 (commit 38295ed).

Then, I've built the website, which updated a bunch of .it.po files,
and created a few ones for new English pages (commit 7cda3ae).

I've given a quick look at the resulting website, and it looked good!

However, the Documentation homepage was not translated, and I realized
that it's because the [[!inline]] directives in wiki/src/doc.it.po had
not been adjusted to inline Italian content, so they were effectively
inlining English content; fixed in commit 7905108, please take a look,
and perhaps look for similar mistakes elsewhere (just building and
browsing the website locally should be enough to spot things you know
should appear in Italian, but that show up in English instead).

Then I've fixed a couple more problems (a3c2f4c..c2f951b).

At this point the status of the Italian translation is:

## All the website

- de: 49% (2584) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy, 43% words translated
- fa: 47% (2502) strings translated, 7% strings fuzzy, 55% words translated
- fr: 63% (3278) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy, 63% words translated
- it: 10% (875) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 11% words translated
- pt: 31% (1661) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy, 29% words translated

Total original words: 53496

## [[Core pages of the website|contribute/l10n_tricks/core_po_files.txt]]

- de: 79% (1432) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy, 79% words translated
- fa: 40% (726) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy, 42% words translated
- fr: 73% (1330) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy, 77% words translated
- it: 45% (812) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy, 54% words translated
- pt: 55% (1001) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy, 55% words translated

Total original words: 16492

This is both higher than the minimum we require (25%) for core pages,
and higher than our current least translated language (Farsi=40%),
woohoo! But it's quite a bit lower than what you folks seemed to
believe was the status of your translation. I suspect that you were
looking at an obsolete list of core pages, e.g. the one before we
added the new Installation Assistant. Whatever :) Knowing that,
I guess that the next step for your team is to catch up and translate
the Installation Assistant (wiki/src/install/).

Finally, for your convenience, I've pushed the resulting branch to
your team's master branch.

So, I think we're now good regarding the content, congrats!

The only missing things seem to be:

* Can you please document your team in
wiki/src/contribute/how/translate/team/italian.mdwn? You can use
one of the existing teams' page as a basis.

* Can you please describe, in a few words, how your internal review
process works? It seems to be different from the processes we've
already (.de and .fr do this on this mailing list, .pt do this on
their own mailing list). I'm asking this for two reasons: first, so
that we can check that you indeed have a review process we feel is
good enough for Tails' needs; second, so that new translators who
may want to join your team understand more easily how it works :)

Once this is done, we can finally enable the Italian language on
our website!