Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available

Author: Susan
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available
Thanks for the welcome and the discussion.

I am away from my computer for a few days so I can't respond properly yet to all of Spencer's or Saj's questions and examples.

I agree that the lock should show the state.

I suggest testing by asking users to explain whether it is locked or unlocked to make sure there isn't any ambiguity. "What will happen when you press that button?"

My earlier comment about encrypted storage being locked or unlocked is In regard to the technically naive concept of encrypted = locked. So an unlocked encrypted container might not make much sense for some people.

However, I prefer the alternative you chose of putting the lock state on the button with the text label, provided it tests well with users. If it is confusing, then moving the lock off the button would be the next thing to try.

The lock by itself on the button would be ambiguous, but next to that strong label I think it could work. Testing it with users is the only way to be sure.

More later, and happy weekend!

Susan

> On May 6, 2016, at 6:24 PM, Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> Susan:
>>> Hi all. I am new
>
> Welcome!
>
>>> lack of contrast is an accessibility issue:
>>> icon (blue on blue)
>
> Icon updated to white (:
>
>>> thin, white font
>
> Typeface updated to bold (:
>
>>> dark backgrounds
>
> Tails uses GNOME blue [0]. Tails could shift to Tails purple to achieve greater contrast with white text.
>
> The icons are intended to be Aluminum Dark [#2e3436] from the Tango color palette [1].
>
>>> [Encrypted Storage text] seems a bit small
>
> Text size updated to match the rest (:
>
>>> * The lock looks just like the buttons do
>>> * [Text and icon] contrast
>>> * Button text size
>
> These are lingering elements from past designs, thanks for spotting them (:
>
>>> further emphasis[e] the [Locked/Unlocked] feedback when
>>> the [button] state changes
>
> I agree. See below.
>
>>> if the label "Encrypted Storage" stays the same [in both] state[s]
>
> I see the redundancy but I think there was a desire to be that verbose with the button label so that it was extra clear what was being unlocked.
>
> I am sure it will function fine without the repeating context. What do others think?
>
>>> change the lock area background
>
> I tried gray and it is okay but it appears gray suddenly after it was blue and part of the button; not so logical.
>
> White is a bit better but not a smooth as an experience as it could be.
>
> I explored some options [2].
>
>>> move the lock indicator up to the label
>
> Explored this a bit and it felt a tad out of place.
>
>>> move the lock icon to the button on the right
>
> The fragmentation has been removed and the two elements merged (:
>
>>> The toggle button is small and very close to the Lock/Unlock button
>
> Glade should resolve that.
>
>>> [text as a] button
>
> This is interesting. The concern is if the actionability of text will be noticed.
>
> Would need some exploring.
>
>>> move this [to] the middle of the row
>
> Not so good at first imagine, do you have an example of how this would function?
>
>>> checkboxes
>
> There used to be checkboxes; there are checkboxes in the coming prototype I think; we can bring them back in the art.
>
> ‘On/Off’ toggles are a fav in GNOME, I have been told, so I was playing a bit with those.
>
>>> the words are probably not actionable
>
> They are, or, at least, should be. I am a fan of zoning actionability, especially with text.
>
>>> eye icon
>
> I am unfamiliar with this.
>
>>> best practice[s]:
>>> retain [similar] legibility:
>>> dark [text] on a light background = 1pt:1pt