Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available
Hi,

>> Susan:
>> Hi all. I am new

Welcome!

>> lack of contrast is an accessibility issue:
>>
>> icon (blue on blue)

Icon updated to white (:

>> thin, white font

Typeface updated to bold (:

>> dark backgrounds

Tails uses GNOME blue [0]. Tails could shift to Tails purple to achieve
greater contrast with white text.

The icons are intended to be Aluminum Dark [#2e3436] from the Tango
color palette [1].

>> [Encrypted Storage text] seems a bit small

Text size updated to match the rest (:

>> * The lock looks just like the buttons do
>> * [Text and icon] contrast
>> * Button text size

These are lingering elements from past designs, thanks for spotting them
(:

>> further emphasis[e] the [Locked/Unlocked] feedback when
>> the [button] state changes

I agree. See below.

>> if the label "Encrypted Storage" stays the same [in both] state[s]

I see the redundancy but I think there was a desire to be that verbose
with the button label so that it was extra clear what was being
unlocked.

I am sure it will function fine without the repeating context. What do
others think?

>> change the lock area background

I tried gray and it is okay but it appears gray suddenly after it was
blue and part of the button; not so logical.

White is a bit better but not a smooth as an experience as it could be.

I explored some options [2].

>> move the lock indicator up to the label

Explored this a bit and it felt a tad out of place.

>> move the lock icon to the button on the right

The fragmentation has been removed and the two elements merged (:

>> The toggle button is small and very close to the Lock/Unlock button

Glade should resolve that.

>> [text as a] button

This is interesting. The concern is if the actionability of text will
be noticed.

Would need some exploring.

>> move this [to] the middle of the row

Not so good at first imagine, do you have an example of how this would
function?

>> checkboxes

There used to be checkboxes; there are checkboxes in the coming
prototype I think; we can bring them back in the art.

‘On/Off’ toggles are a fav in GNOME, I have been told, so I was playing
a bit with those.

>> the words are probably not actionable

They are, or, at least, should be. I am a fan of zoning actionability,
especially with text.

>> eye icon

I am unfamiliar with this.

>> best practice[s]:
>>
>> retain [similar] legibility:
>> dark [text] on a light background = 1pt:1pt
>> light [text] on dark background = 3pt:1pt
>>
>> touch control [sizing]:
>> the size of the smallest fingertip
>> spaced so that that fingertip won't press two things at once

Thanks for these! I don’t agree with the type sizing argument but I do
agree that there are visual balances that challenge physical truths;
e.g. the visual weight added by ascenders and descenders often fucks
with vertical alignment.

> sajolida:
> the icon .. should it:
>
> A. [Indicate the state]?
> B. [Indicate an action]?

A riddle indeed.

The icon provides more value as an indication of the current state than
it does as an indication of what action is to be taken.

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: I could not find a link in the documentation ):
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_Desktop_Project
[2]:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1356/Greeter.Encrypted.Storage.Options.png