[Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?

Author: Spencer
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?
Hi,

> intrigeri:
> the message that "plugging one's Tails
> device in an untrusted OS is dangerous" >

I respect this intention but struggle to see how the trust verification functions when equipped with only a warning; trust is hard to determine, especially up front, even if you "own" the machine.

> good enough

Don't let me bottleneck any development with philos.

> what problem these proposals
> are tackling?

The same as this:

> detecting the presence of .DS_Store
> files and friends

i.e., trusting the device.

A use case could be:
I see occupied bits on a USB stick I intend to use as a Tails device; I am concerned.

I would like to recover this space but am unsure if reformatting is effective; it turns out extended partitions can go untouched during reformatting.

I reformat.

I still see the occupied bits; I am further concerned, specifically that my device has been pwnd by a powerful adversary.

I wish there was a tool for this.

- - -

There is but should Tails provide the same service; probably not.

However, if there is a potential Tails device integrity check tool, it could provide a complete service and visualize the partition table in some way; text is plenty.

No worries (:

Wordlife,
Spencer