Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?
Hi,

Spencer wrote (25 Mar 2016 18:30:05 GMT) :
>> intrigeri:
>> Tails system partition is enough

> Will you explain a bit more about this?

I'm personally interested in conveying more clearly, to our users, the
message that "plugging one's Tails device in an untrusted OS is
dangerous" [1]. I think that detecting the presence of .DS_Store files
and friends on a started Tails is a good trigger to educate the user
a bit about it. It's easy to implement, and seems to be good enough,
so any other proposal will need to be better.

[1] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2016-February/010251.html

Detecting hidden partitions was also proposed back then, but I don't
know what problem it is meant to address (and I don't see how it can
help address the problem mentioned above), so I'm afraid I can't
comment further on this topic with the info I currently have.

> It could check the MBR partition table for any occupied bits.

> But the specific thought was to check for extended partition entries.

Here again: can you please describe what problem these proposals
are tackling?