Re: [Tails-dev] Tails on compromised hardware

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails on compromised hardware
Hi,

sajolida wrote (12 Mar 2016 15:04:05 GMT) :
> See also the FAQ we have on this topic:
> https://tails.boum.org/support/faq#compromised_system

It looks like this FAQ entry exposes the problem sycamoreone is trying
to solve here: "if the computer has only been compromised by software,
running from inside your regular operating system (virus, trojan,
etc.), then it is safe to use Tails". This misses the fact that
"software, running from inside your regular operating system" can
infect firmware and then make it unsafe to use Tails on that machine.

Also, perhaps we should replace "untrusted" with "untrustworthy" in
"untrusted pieces of hardware".