Re: [Tails-ux] [review] Onion Circuits and Tor Status extens…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: Tails user experience & user interface design
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] [review] Onion Circuits and Tor Status extension strings
Hi,

sajolida wrote (09 Mar 2016 13:04:11 GMT) :
> I'll do that in #11210.

Thanks a lot! Two questions:

* Any ETA?

* May we explicitly expand the scope of that ticket to include the
Tor Status extension? I assume that's what you meant since you
linked to my email that was about both.

> The integration of Onion Circuits is 2.2 came too late and too suddenly
> for me to have time to do any work on the documentation or UX (I was at
> Tor dev starting from Feb 26). I understand that your intention was to
> get rid of #10576 but I'd like to make it clear that the integration
> process for this feature was not so good.

Yes.

Since 2.0~rc1 or something, a few of us have been raising #10576
repeatedly to my attention (definitely with good intentions but it
doesn't really matter here). It's been the source of a growing
frustration and failure feeling, that I had to do something about.
It felt like integrating Onion Circuits was my only chance to
substantially improve things on #10576 before Tails 2.4, scheduled in
3 months, so I totally jumped on it, when the remaining blockers
(mainly renaming the software) were resolved.

Hadn't we previously discussed at length what needed to be done, and
how it should look like, I would definitely not have pushed this
change in such a hurry.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that the process was not good,
and it should not become the norm.

Even with whatever personal reasons I had to rush things up, an
excellent email discussion before anything has been implemented can't
possibly replace a good code/UX process with some room for feedback
from all parties before shipping to users. And indeed, I acknowledge
that in another similar situation we've seen recently (the branch that
integrated the IA into the current doc), changes proposed at the last
minute were rejected precisely because there hadn't been enough room
for such feedback, considering the importance of the changes.