Re: [Tails-dev] Adding KeepassX to Tails Startup; can it be …

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Adding KeepassX to Tails Startup; can it be done!
On Feb 29, 2016 1:38 PM, <madx@???> wrote:

> Hi Spencer, thanks for writing back,
> I think they should poll to see how many others like this idea :)
>
> I would also love to have an easy way to enter ASCII symbols into the mix

as well.

> I just feel with the advancement of todays super computers and server

farms that are specifically designed by governments to brute force attack
systems, there should be a way to limit how many times a password can be
entered. After a few bad attempts the program should stop for an hour.
After 8 bad attempts the system should wipe itself.

It's a neat idea, but as previously pointed out, easily circumvented if
the attacker has (temporary) physical access to the drive. It might prevent
a roommate or low knowledge attacker, but anyone serious would clone and
attack at their convenience at an alternate location, without using tails,
so the protection would be lost.