Re: [Tails-dev] Help: GNOME Shell integration issue affectin…

Author: intrigeri
To: Carlos Soriano Sanchez
CC: Carlos Soriano, Federico Mena-Quintero, Frederic Peters, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Help: GNOME Shell integration issue affecting Tails
Hi,

Carlos Soriano Sanchez wrote (19 Jan 2016 21:03:28 GMT) :
> Congrats for the upcomming 2.0 release! Happy to hear that.

Thank you :)

> So let me try to convince you instead to not use an extension.

This is indeed our plan! Now, there are a few non-trivial blockers, so
it's not something that can possibly happen in the next few days (in
time for Tails 2.0) or even weeks (in time for the Tails release that
comes after 2.0). Some of these blockers are on our side, and being
worked on. Some other blockers are on the GNOME side, and we'll get in
touch wit you folks at some point about them.

> Currently we implement those icons in a small left corner, which
> is similar to top-icons extension.

In GNOME Shell 3.14, these icons appear in the notification area on
the bottom right of the screen, which makes them 1. not visible by
default (which is problematic for some of the icons we're talking of
here); and 2. harder, if not impossible, to interact with.

> In any case, I would recommend you to say this in the gnome-shell
> mailing list to get some attention in case you still want it fixed.

OK, thanks! I'll try this when I come back to it in a few days.
Feel free to forward my call for help there if you can + want to help
us get this moving faster :)

> I kind of don't like extensions, instead I would like upstream
> contribution, that's why I hesitate to spend time on it.

I can totally understand this, considering the place you're speaking
from.

> Hope you all the luck!

:)