Re: [Tails-dev] Icedove security updates / Tails release sch…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Icedove security updates / Tails release schedule
Spencer wrote (04 Jan 2016 19:41:29 GMT) :
>> u:
>> TL;DR: Thunderbird is not always released at the same time as FF,
>>
>> This implies that we have to choose between
>> a) delay Tails releases to get the new Icedove; or
>> b) [Risk security by] sticking to the current Firefox release schedule every
>> 6 weeks.

> With all due respect to Mozilla devs and all those here involved in making the
> decision to migrate to Icedove, this seems like quite the effort for un(der)usable
> and bloated software, especially given the severity of the options above.

I'm replying to "the severity of the options above", regarding
option b.

Let's keep in mind that other email clients we used to ship, or could
choose to ship haven't synchronized their release schedule with
Firefox either; Ditto for most other software we ship, actually. So,
the "security updates are delayed a bit" problem is neither news here,
nor specific to Icedove.

It *is* a serious problem, however. The long-term solution we've put
our odds on so far, that will work regardless of what email client we
ship, is to streamline our release process so that we can, some day,
put out (smaller) updates more often. This is one of the main reasons
why we've been putting so much efforts into our automated test suite
lately :)