Re: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta

Author: Yui Hirasawa
To: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta
> Hi,

Hello. I don't really see the point in greeting me every time.

> Can this be resolved by adjusting the tracking?

Probably. But this is extra work you have to do every time you boot up
Tails.

> The navigation bar clusters wireless, battery, sound, and so on, into a
> single button. It is interesting, though I am not sure it is suitable for
> the functions it contains.

Seems pointless to hide the buttons like that.

> Word. Short of an interface to select the packages you want to roll into
> your own custom Tails.iso, I am not sure this is easily addressable.

I used to have my own custom arch iso. Would be neat to have my own
custom Tails iso as well. Would require some scripting to make the
generation of the isos as easy as possible but I think it'd be worth it.

> Word. It seems well considered, given that the resource intensiveness can
> be mitigated by addressing specific concerns, like animations.
>
> https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/index.en.html#index4h2

So because the developers already wasted their time learning about GNOME
we are now stuck with it? Great.

> Word. I think GNOME does some tiling.

You mean like the windows style dragging to the sides? If so, that's not
really tiling.

> Would you be interested in documenting your typical startup experience with
> Tails and sharing? The main interest is seeing the modifications made to
> the default experience by power users with specific needs. I ask you since
> you have been so critical and have an exciting case. If not, no worries :)

Here is a short version of it. This all happens in a span of about 5
minutes. I don't bother setting up my ideal environment on Tails because
it's too much extra work for a lazy person like me.

I start tails.

I remember the i2p option. Have to reboot to add it.

After booting up I type my passphrase, set password, the usual.

Wait for GNOME to load the desktop... takes like 2 minutes.

Connect to the wifi, cursing the horrible usability of GNOME.

Next thing I do is move to another TTY, add line `exec i3` into my
.xinitrc and do `startx`.

After all this i2p is probably still connecting to the network so wait a
bit for that.

Start chatting on i2p irc and browsing tor.

> Thanks for going deeper on this.

Ofc, I want to see Tails to be the best Anonymous Live OS it can be.