Re: [Tails-dev] Update Electrum documentation for Tails 1.8 …

Author: sajolida
To: Michael English, s7r, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Update Electrum documentation for Tails 1.8 upgrade to version 2.5.4
I worked on an update to the current documentation in branch
doc/9713-electrum-2.5. I tried to combined everybody's input while
sticking to the minimum as per our guidelines.

I'm sorry I won't reply inline to the different topics raised in this
thread, but here is a summary:

1. Give more emphasis on external backup of the seed in addition to
using persistence, as suggested by s7r.
2. Apply the grammar fixes and phrasings suggested by Michael.
3. Make the warning about SPV less scary and more useful by focusing on
transaction confirmation. I was quite convinced by the details provided
by s7r but tell me if I misinterpreted something.
4. Add a tip about mBTC.

I didn't include s7r's suggestion to explain better what an Electrum
server is, what it can do and what it cannot do. I think this is out of
the scope in the Tails doc, while it clearly fits better in the upstream
doc. I understand that some of your points were specific to Tails, but
still, I think we found a configuration in Tails that doesn't make the
security discussion radically different than outside of Tails (which was
the goal). If we think this discussion about the Tails context is worth
been written somewhere it should be done in our design documentation.
But honestly, I feel very lazy to do this and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Tell me what you think or if I missed anything. And thanks for your
patience and for doing the research and discussion without me.