[Tails-dev] Tails 2.0: status and release schedule

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails 2.0: status and release schedule
Hi,

the two weeks of sprint for Tails based on Debian 8 (Jessie) are over.
There's quite some work left to do (primarily in the test suite and
user documentation areas) but in terms of functionality, the only
blockers I'm aware of have well-known solutions and should be resolved
very soon. Yay! So anonym and I just met and decided that we will
release Tails 2.0 on January 26.

If you want to help:

* doc writers: please come up with a schedule on your side, so that
we can announce a (soft) string freeze date to our dear translators
soon (from the code PoV the string freeze can be the end of 2015)

* https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=130

Here is the tentative dev + release schedule:

* 2015-11-23: review the devel..feature/jessie diff and merge
feature/jessie into the devel branch; once this is done we'll start
using our standard review'n'merge process for the remaining work

* 2015-11-23 to 2015-11-27: finish updating the test suite for
Jessie-based ISO images

* between 2015-11-30 and 2015-12-04: release Tails 2.0~beta1

* 2015-12-11: feature freeze of Tails 2.0

* between 2015-12-15 and 2015-12-26: release Tails 2.0~beta2

 * 2016-01-11:
   - Build and upload Tails 2.0~rc1.
   - Start testing Tails 2.0~rc1 during late CET if building the image
     went smoothly.

* 2016-01-12:
- Finish testing Tails 2.0~rc1 by the afternoon, CET.
- Release Tails 2.0~rc1.

 * 2016-01-25:
   - The upcoming Tor Browser is hopefully out so we can import it.
   - Build and upload Tails 2.0 ISO image and IUKs.
   - Start testing Tails 2.0 during late CET if building the image
     went smoothly.

 * 2016-01-26:
   - Finish testing Tails 2.0 by the afternoon, CET.
   - Release Tails 2.0 during late CET, earliest when Mozilla
     publishes their MFSAs.

Note that all 2016 dates in this email are subject to change a bit, in
case Mozilla people have a holiday and reschedule everything.