[Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hi,

>>> Lunar:
>>> I have doubts about the “Save Privacy Changes” as it is now regarding
>>> network related settings.
>>>

>> Spencer:
>> Network privacy.
>>

> Lunar:
> Sorry, but I don't understand your comment.

Network privacy is one aspect of Tails' overall privacy feature. Though
"Security" is a more accurate label, "Privacy" seems to be the end-goal
of effective security features, so it feels appropriate.

However, 'Administrative Account' doesn't necessarily map as clearly to
'Privacy' as it does 'Security'. If we make such a swap, 'Network
Configuration' seems to fit a bit more snug.

> Sure. Although that would work just as well if we would save these
> settings for each network instead.
>
> But if we do this per network (maybe in a not-so-distant future), we
> shouldn't offer the possibility to save the settings globally.

The 'Save Privacy Settings' check box really functions to preserve the
settings in the "Check & Go" dialog, which was a big driver for our
current design and currently risks exclusion if we can't resolve this
section.

Saving network configuration would need to be done in the 'Network
Configuration' dialog and I am unsure of how involved configuration at
the Greeter will be; it could be the same dialog, or a focused summary.

If we are to support saving multiple setting configurations, what are
the security issues, if any?

>>> The thing I would want to save is “I need to hide that
>>> I'm using Tails (as much as possible)” though.
>>>

>> Will you provide a short story on how you see that experience
>> functioning?
>>

> Basically this would add more confirmation screens before probing the
> network. Because trying to connect to the Tor network directly might
> trigger alarm, so we need to offer a possibility to use bridges and
> pluggable transports as first choice.

This seems quite involved. I am proposing *only* activating network
connections at the Greeter, leaving other choices for further down in
the flow, as it is unclear what difference selecting "bridge, firewall,
or proxy" makes at the Greeter - though I have explored this, too.

>> Also, you might be looking for Tails-whonix :p
>>

> Not sure I understand.

Qubes-whonix is often a recommendation when people are looking to hide
their usage of Tor, so I (jokingly) made the same here :)

Wordlife,
Spencer