Re: [Tails-project] Apply Creative Commons

Author: Christopher Sheats
To: intrigeri
CC: tails-project
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Apply Creative Commons
Hi,

On 10/13/2015 10:52 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christopher Sheats wrote (13 Oct 2015 21:03:53 GMT) :
>> Sadly, I will need to re-word your work to stay within
>> legal boundaries. Because of the content we are remixing from
>> other CC sources, the content we are developing will be CC-BY-SA (and
>> cannot also be GPL3).
>
> Anyone interested in this topic, there's a good summary there:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccbysa

It is complex and to further change to dual-license is more complex. For
example, if any of the Tails documentation is from original Linux docs,
applying CC may not be possible. Also, if it cannot be agreed on by all
Tails contributors, applying CC may not be possible. But a dual-license
is ideal. I was not aware of the GPL-3 or dual-license issues before
writing to Tails-project.

> b) We relicense Tails documentation in a way that anyone can take
>    content from there and put it under CC-BY-SA (4.0 presumably, since
>    earlier versions are not DFSG-free IIRC).

>     * We ("Tails developers") claim to hold the copyright on the
>       entire source tree. As long as this claim is not contested, then
>       we're allowed to relicense as we wish.

>     * Dual-licensing would be ideal but I don't know if it can work in
>       this case. I am not an expert in this field, though.

>     * IMO CC-BY-SA is OK, so what matters is keeping our ability to
>       copy'n'paste content between our documentation and source code
>       without any need for licensing second thoughts (many Tails
>       contributors are not skilled at licensing matters, nor do they
>       find them particularly exciting to spend time on). I think
>       that's one of the main criteria that shall be used to evaluate
>       re-licensing proposals.

> Christopher, just to be clear: thinking through (b) and implementing
> it will take us time, and we're working on scarce resources. You might
> find (a) easier. Or, you could help make (b) happen :)
>
> Cheers,

I also support B -- for the long-term benefits.

My work with ACLU-WA is not blocked because of the use of GPL-3. While I
am currently having a temporary mental blockage of how to best educate
about Tails on a SecureDrop landing page, I will likely create new
content since it is use-case specific. Once we publish, I will do
everything that I can to contribute back to Tails documentation efforts.
You may even create a new doc specific to users of SecureDrop and other
whistleblowing platforms; GlobaLeaks, etcetera. I would love to help an
effort like that.

Christopher