Re: [Tails-dev] Typo fixes for Warnings doc page

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Typo fixes for Warnings doc page
Jesse W:
> On Sun, 2015-10-11 at 16:29 +0000, sajolida wrote:
>> Jesse W:
>>> I made some typo fixes to the Warnings doc page. The branch is available
>>> here: https://gitlab.com/JesseW/tails/commits/doc_fixes
>>
>> Cool! Thanks a lot for all the fixes, as most of us are not native
>> English speakers that's a very precious way of contributing.
>
> That makes sense. Sadly, I only speak English, so I can't help with
> translations -- but I'm glad to help with non-native English fixes.

I was wondering how you could continue doing this in the future if you
want. We don't have dedicated communication channels for technical
writing and I don't think you should follow all our writing work (but
rather double-check it once it's merged already).

Maybe you could check, some time before the freeze or the release of a
given version, the diff between that version and what we have in Git. A
bit like we're doing when we pass a call for translation [1] (but calls
for translation happen on tails-l10n which would be otherwise a quite
noisy list for you).

For example, right now:

    git diff --stat 1.6..origin/devel -- *.{mdwn,html}

gives a good overview of the changes made to the website since 1.6. You
could focus on /doc, /support, /inc, and definitely skip /blueprint
which are internal documents.

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process#index9h1

We schedule freezes and releases on this list, and in the calendar:

    https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/

Unfortunately, we're often rushing things right before the freeze (or
even merging documentation work between the freeze and the release). So
that's only the theory...

>> Still, I
>> didn't want to merge your whole branch because of 73fb7c5. I prefer
>> limiting rewrapping to the minimum as it breaks the Git history.
>
> OK, that certainly makes sense. I'll add a note to the documentation
> help page specifying that unnecessary rewrapping is not wanted, so
> people don't do it accidentally.

Ok.