Re: [Tails-ux] Encrypted Storage

Author: Lunar
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Encrypted Storage
tchou:
> Just to say it again, to make it clear that I disagree with one tiny point :
> - I think that most of the time wrong "password" are *passphrase* typo
> (and kind of long)
> - In the case, my point is that i think it's better to keep the wrong
> passphrase and make it possible to read it (with the "show passphrase"
> button) and fix the typo. We can add a "clear" button too.

Let me rephrase to make sure we understand one another: you are saying
that most of the time errors in passphrase are just typo. For that
reason, you advocate that we should not erase the whole field in case of
errors because it gives a chance to correct the typo and proceed with
login.

[Please correct me if I got it wrong.]

I agree on the first assumption. I do typos in my passphrases all the
time.

But then? I don't want to take the chance to have my passphrases learned
by bystanders looking at my screen. Once I made a mistake, I can't learn
where is the typo by looking at identical black circles. So starting
again from the beginning is the only option.

If someone is confident that they are safe having the passphrase
displayed on screen, they can always click the “Show passphrase” button
before entering the passphrase and fix typos while they are typing it.

Not clearing a wrong passphrase would make the greeter behave
differently from all software on the Tails desktop from the quick look I
had at it.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find this question mentioned in GNOME HIG.
Maybe that's worth opening a bug there?

--
Lunar                                             <lunar@???>