[Tails-ux] Greeter design proposal rationale

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter design proposal rationale
Hi,

>> Spencer:
>> Note that the 'Storage' section is updated to reflect the current
>> Greeter Rationale[0]. However, I am unfamiliar with the benefits of
>> 'Enable' though I have trust and have included it; Alan, would you
>> explain so that I understand?
>>

> Alan:
> I think that there is a misunderstanding. If you mean the [Enable] text
> in, I think it refers to an icon you would click to enable the
> storage.
>
> [0]:
> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/design_rationale_phase1/#index9h3

I am. It says "A context menu enables to "show passphrase", "copy", and
"paste" as in GNOME OpenPGP agent". I do not see the value in enabling
storage with an 'Enable' button. And I thought, based on the
accompanying sentence, that text buttons appeared, specifically 'Show
Passphrase', 'Copy', and 'Paste', but two of these didn't seem valuable
as buttons.

Should there be an 'Enable' button? Lunar was asking the same thing, I
think.

>> 1. If 'Language' is not grouped with 'Privacy' then they should not
>> resemble each other (though tchou has some thoughts on still grouping
>> them with 'Language' ordered first).
>
> I don't agree. The design you proposed before is coherent with GNOME3
> design, while the one-liner:
>
> - looks strange to me
> - is far less clear about which line is what

You don't agree with the designation of a one-line language section, no
worries. It updates what Tails currently has in 1.x and saves valuable
space while also dedicating the appropriate amount of real estate based
on its function and use.

However, I do not see how longer text can be accommodated for without
truncating stuff in the one-liner, which is no good; horizontal space is
equally valuable.

> Please see the attached proposal.
>
> These two proposals reintroduce things that we dropped in the
> previous process, with good reasons I think.

This is beautiful! Three distinct sections for three distinct functions
all rolled up into one; king's cross.

The only issue I have is with the Storage section. I thought there was
a security issue with visually acknowledging the presence of storage and
that we were always filling storage as a protection. This would mean
that the 'Configure Encrypted Storage' button state would be displayed
always, in which case the text could read: 'Configure or Unlock
Encrypted Storage'.

If there is still conflicting objection within the one vs two dialog
Greeter, I can throw this and the two-pager (with relevant updates seen
here) into a clickable .pdf; let me know.

Wordlife,
Spencer