Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] An idea

Author: anonym
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] An idea
On 09/04/2015 07:40 PM, sajolida wrote:
> anonym:
>>> From: tails-bugs@???
>>> Subject: Re: Bug report "laptop on battery"

>> The whole point of the *emergency* shutdown applet is that there will be
>> no verification prompt. That way Tails can be shutdown fast and reliably
>> when the police kicks your door in. :)
>
> Moving this discussion to tails-ux, please answer there from now on and
> keep gil.guillot@??? in copy.

Please keep me Cc:ed too.

> Actually, I think this idea is relevant, and I'm concerned to hear that
> people *still* find the shutdown too easy to trigger with the new design
> of the shutdown applet.
>
> I looked for decision about it on Redmine, and only found #5322, which
> describes the same thing as Gil describes:
>
>     Let's leave this button at the same top-right place; clicking it
>     should open a dropdown menu with three entries:

>         Lock screen (requires the addition of the package xscreensaver )
>         Shutdown immediately
>         Reboot immediately

> The fastest option for triggering shutdown this case would be:
>
>     1. Clicking the button
>     2. Pressing Enter

> Maybe I'm too much used to laptops but I would find this interaction as
> fast and actually less prone to errors than the current one which is:
>
>     1. Clicking the button
>     2. Slide the pointer downwards and to the left
>     3. Click again on Shutdown immediately

My only concern is not about verification but accuracy. The current
applet indeed is too small, placing the options too close too each
other. Adding the Screen locker option could be quite bad, actually,
since misclicking on it instead of "Shutdown immediately" could be
pretty serious in an emergency.

I'm not concerned at all about any of this in Jessie, though, since the
options are placed quite far from each other.

> Furthermore, in case the police kicks your door in, you can pull out the
> USB stick and the emergency shutdown is triggered as well.

This is not convenient with a stationary computer, where the media could
easily be out of arm's length distance.

> But anyway, I checked what's the shutdown interaction in Tails Jessie
> and it's the same as the default in GNOME 3:
>
>     1. Click the top-left corner
>     2. Slide the pointer to the bottom of the menu
>     3. Click on the Shutdown icon

> Which is currently much slower that what we have in Tails Wheezy because
> the menu is much bigger. There's ticket #8302 on this topic but which I
> didn't read entirely.

I think "much slower" is an exaggeration. I think that since the options
are placed with more spacing between them, less accuracy is needed and
it may actually be faster. I truly doubt it's slower, at least.

> So sorry for the digression, but anyway I think it's not worth
> redesigning the shutdown interaction in current Tails as it will change
> completely anyway in 5-6 months.

Agreed, even if I don't agree that it should be changed in the first place.

Cheers!