Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] An idea

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, gil.guillot, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] An idea
anonym:
>> From: tails-bugs@???
>> Subject: Re: Bug report "laptop on battery"
>>
>>> I had an other idea for another subject : When you click on the
>>> "shutdown immediately" button, it could be "safe" to had a
>>> confirmation box telling "Do you really want to shutdown Tails ? Yes
>>> or Not" because all data in the session is cleared unlike windows and
>>> other OS which people are used to.
>
> The whole point of the *emergency* shutdown applet is that there will be
> no verification prompt. That way Tails can be shutdown fast and reliably
> when the police kicks your door in. :)

Moving this discussion to tails-ux, please answer there from now on and
keep gil.guillot@??? in copy.

Actually, I think this idea is relevant, and I'm concerned to hear that
people *still* find the shutdown too easy to trigger with the new design
of the shutdown applet.

I looked for decision about it on Redmine, and only found #5322, which
describes the same thing as Gil describes:

    Let's leave this button at the same top-right place; clicking it
    should open a dropdown menu with three entries:

        Lock screen (requires the addition of the package xscreensaver )
        Shutdown immediately
        Reboot immediately

The fastest option for triggering shutdown this case would be:

    1. Clicking the button
    2. Pressing Enter

Maybe I'm too much used to laptops but I would find this interaction as
fast and actually less prone to errors than the current one which is:

    1. Clicking the button
    2. Slide the pointer downwards and to the left
    3. Click again on Shutdown immediately

Furthermore, in case the police kicks your door in, you can pull out the
USB stick and the emergency shutdown is triggered as well.

But anyway, I checked what's the shutdown interaction in Tails Jessie
and it's the same as the default in GNOME 3:

    1. Click the top-left corner
    2. Slide the pointer to the bottom of the menu
    3. Click on the Shutdown icon

Which is currently much slower that what we have in Tails Wheezy because
the menu is much bigger. There's ticket #8302 on this topic but which I
didn't read entirely.

So sorry for the digression, but anyway I think it's not worth
redesigning the shutdown interaction in current Tails as it will change
completely anyway in 5-6 months.

Still, thank you Gil for the interesting proposal!