[Tails-ux] Secure usability talk at CCCamp

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] Secure usability talk at CCCamp
Hi,

Yesterday I watched a talk from the CCCamp. I didn't expect it to end up
talking in depth about UX but it did. Some stuff in there is
interesting, some other is less or made my quite skeptical. But some
issues are definitely connected with meta-discussions that we are having
here or away from keyboards.

The video is here:
https://media.ccc.de/browse/conferences/camp2015/camp2015-6889-encrypted_email_for_planet_earth.html#video

And the UX stuff starts at 16:20.

Points that resonated with our work to me:

- "Trade-off between education vs. just make it @#*$&#$ work". This
reminded me of the debate around displayed or hidden "advanced" options
in the Greeter.
- "Gathering metrics vs. protecting privacy". We've been talking about
that on our website with tchou though we don't have any implementation
plans.
- "Test early and test often". Again, this reminded me of our long and
painful process and digressions on the Greeter revamp.
- "Reliance on standard patterns". Cf. our debate on following or not
the GNOME (or Mac OS X) guidelines vs creating custom widgets.
- "Self-reported data is unreliable". Cf. the misunderstanding between
"user testing" and "user inspection" we had with tchou on #8233.
- "Security personas". We should have a closer look at
https://medium.com/@gusandrews/user-personas-for-privacy-and-security-a8b35ae5a63b
and compare against our top-secret personas.
- "Startup techniques". Clearly connects with the conference of tchou
at Pas Sage en Seine but from a very different point of view. I like his
best :)
- I got a version of Lean UX (haven't read it):
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021827.do. Ask for it if you're
interested.
- "A-B testing". We already mentioned this with tchou and I'd fine it
interesting to brainstorm on how and where we could apply this.