Re: [Tails-ux] Secure usability talk at CCCamp

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Secure usability talk at CCCamp
spencerone@???:
>> sajolida:
>> Yesterday I watched a talk from the CCCamp. I didn't expect it to end up
>> talking in depth about UX but it did. Some stuff in there is
>> interesting, some other is less or made my quite skeptical. But some
>> issues are definitely connected with meta-discussions that we are having
>> here or away from keyboards.
>>
>> The video is here:
>> https://media.ccc.de/browse/conferences/camp2015/camp2015-6889-encrypted_email_for_planet_earth.html#video
>>
>> Points that resonated with our work to me:
>>
>> - "Gathering metrics vs. protecting privacy". We've been talking about
>> that on our website with tchou though we don't have any implementation
>> plans.
>
> No metrics :) Encourage community participation (though I guess not
> though mailing lists :))

I disagree :)

>> - "Test early and test often". Again, this reminded me of our long and
>> painful process and digressions on the Greeter revamp.
>
> Referring to the trajectory[0], the space between Observations and
> Concepts is the mass of the work, testing would be at each set of
> concepts where observations are made.
>
> But yeah, we need some more testing infrastructure - I have temporarily
> recruited a UXpert to assist with patches to the current UI Testing
> Guidelines[1] so that we have nothing overlooked.

Great initiative!

>> - "Reliance on standard patterns". Cf. our debate on following or not
>> the GNOME (or Mac OS X) guidelines vs creating custom widgets.
>> - "Self-reported data is unreliable". Cf. the misunderstanding between
>> "user testing" and "user inspection" we had with tchou on #8233.
>> - "Security personas". We should have a closer look at
>> https://medium.com/@gusandrews/user-personas-for-privacy-and-security-a8b35ae5a63b
>> and compare against our top-secret personas.
>
> We have user personas?

Tchou drafted some personas this sprint but never published them.
I would be happy if you ping him regarding his plans on that :)

>> - "Startup techniques". Clearly connects with the conference of tchou
>> at Pas Sage en Seine but from a very different point of view. I like his
>> best :)
>>

> Missed this :(

Here you go (in French):
http://data.passageenseine.org/2015/webm/PSES2015_ux-logiciels-libres.webm

>> - I got a version of Lean UX (haven't read it):
>> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021827.do. Ask for it if you're
>> interested.
>
> I am; please share :)

In private...

>> - "A-B testing". We already mentioned this with tchou and I'd fine it
>> interesting to brainstorm on how and where we could apply this.
>
> This is comparing concepts. We could do this now with the Greeter, most
> appropriately, comparing which starting point is most universally
> preferable, the Guided or Self-guided flow, since logic can't take us
> any further on its own.

I think we could also do this to test different options for displaying
or not all the options upfront in the Greeter :)

> We could also do this with the web assistant for download/install/clone
> cases. The issue I see for us is that this takes time to do this
> full-force, but when we arrive at designation pickles (like baseball)
> this micro-testing could be of great benefit.

As we would be talking about a website here, we could propose different
versions to different people and use metrics to know how they perform.
But setting up something like this would be a complex project of its own.

> Overall, there were a lot of anecdotes, contradictions, and firm
> beliefs, but the recommended diversity in research and clarity in
> interfaces is spot on and couldn't be emphasized more. The biggest
> correlation made was connecting usability to having a dedicated HuX
> person(s), and I agree.

I share your conclusions.