Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Autore: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Alan:

> You mean that you think that there were an agreement not do display
> "advanced" of "privacy" settings by default?

In the thread we had in March, yes, I think that there was a clear
agreement on hiding the advanced settings by default.

>>> I'm not against it, but:
>>>
>>> - I start to be tired of waiting and discussing again and again on
>>> details
>>> - we refine things since already more than one year, had already at
>>> least two proposals that were nearly validated then changed again
>>
>> Personally I've seen more "questioning" than "refining".
>
> Unfortunately, all the people that are into design that I interact with
> seem to question everything all the time, which leads to nice
> proposals, but take shit loads of time and energy. Cultural difference
> I think.

The solution is to not go into endless discussion loops like we're doing
but actually test more with users and earlier. All the designs that were
proposed already (the one we did together, the one by tchou, and the one
you did with spencerone) should have been tested on paper with 5-10
people and we would have tons of very useful feedback from this, less
discussion loops, and stronger decisions. But I agree that I was not
putting energy into this myself neither so I'm not blaming anybody.

>> If you're ready to do that, I'm fine with implementing whatever solution
>> you currently prefer. Then, let's also schedule a user testing session.
>
> I will implement something only if at least the people into the
> discussion think that it's worth it. Currently I feel like I took a lot
> of energy to work openly with spencerone to arrive to the best proposal
> and it basically failed. So if you want to take over, be welcome, but
> don't expect me to put as much energy as I did within the last months
> with it.

Honestly, if you're ok to wait some more months before jumping to the
code, or if you tell me that coding a first software mockup will take
you not much more than one day of work, then I think we should test your
design as soon as possible and with as little implementation work behind
as possible. I would be very interested in attending these sessions and
could probably do so in November around the dates proposed by intrigeri
for the second Jessie sprint. But otherwise you can maybe get anyone
else from tails-dev or tails-ux to help you out and do it earlier.

If you are not ready to wait for user testing before coding the whole
thing, that's fine with me and I'll be exciting to have something
implemented but we might end up having bad surprises later on down the
road and waste some of your coding time.