Re: [Tails-dev] Package Tor Monitor

Author: Sascha Steinbiss
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Package Tor Monitor
Hi Alan,

>> You are definitely more familiar with the internals of the Python distutils steps.
>> I am happy with any solution you propose as long as ‘setup.py build’ does not
>> generate a new POT file on each build (hence updating the timestamp)
>> but reuses a version that is pregenerated by you and committed in your
>> upstream repo.
>>
> After reading the documentation and the code of the build system
> extensions I use to support python desktop applications
> (python-distutils-extra), I came to the conclusion that your request is
> not supported. I looked for other similar build systems and fails to
> find one with similar functionalities. Not as easy as I though...

I see. Thanks for your research!

> I can whishlist this feature upstream, but that won't solve your short
> term problem.

For now I have implemented a simple workaround by just wrapping the
python build with faketime, which I feel is sufficient here as this
package is not overly complex. So I would say as a short-term solution,
the reproducibility issue raised by nodens is addressed.

Cheers
Sascha