[Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi,

>> Spencer:
>> I am not sure if you mean temporarily or permanently. However, I
>> think
>> 'Windows Camouflage' is an important tool and that it is important to
>> accommodate for more (OSs).
>>

> Alan:
> The point here is not that we think camouflage is not useful, but that
> it takes a lot of time to develop and maintain and we decided it was
> not
> hight priority enough to be a requirement for next Tails releases.

Word. So a low-tech resolution is needed, then, yeah? Maybe a simple
background image and dialog color/font changes are enough to spoof
another OS.

>> Here is a brief surface level explanation[0].
>>

> We should do that in the blueprint, and them make a call for
> comments/revisions of this blueprint.

Word. Here[0] is the requested info. It is also on the blueprint[1].
It is a .pdf. There was too much info to add to the webpage and editing
tips didn't seem to explain how to add a new page to link to (or I
overlooked it).

[0] GreeterRationale.pdf (attached)
[1] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/

>> Would you want a Redline document with stuff called out?
>>

> What is a redline document?

A document with pixel-perfect alignment/spacing callouts used to
establish designated composition of elements, and then track their
changes. A DIY visual ticket/bug/change tracker, if you will.

>> The words and icons should be quite suitable as logical foundations to
>> build off of. The styling of the wording and the icons will be cool.
>>
>> Does Tails have a dedicated graphic designer like the Tor Project
>> does?
>>

> Not really. I know sajolida worked in icons for the website quite a
> lot, so it might be good to ask them.

Will do!

>> Also, I did my best to size everything to GNOME 3.14 but had
>> trouble locating anything definitively accurate. Screenshots from
>> Tails
>> didn't align with the buttons available from the GNOME website though
>> couldn't find info on the buttons being updated. Neither of these
>> aligned with images found online, nor with people's comments. But the
>> spacing and text should be close if not accurate.
>>

> That is because current tails is based on GNOME 3.8. But we are now
> developing for a version of Tails based on Debian Jessie, and GNOME
> 3.14, which corresponds to what is available in GNOME website.

That's what I figured, but even screenshots of 3.14 didn't align to the
.svgs on the GNOME site. But no worries, it sounds like Glade handles
everything. Thanks for the link!

I will move on to the flow and saved parameters.

Wordlife,
Spencer