Re: [Tails-l10n] [merge][fr] Re: Review of the translations …

Author: elouann
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [merge][fr] Re: Review of the translations made by Mercedes508
Hi all,

intrigeri <intrigeri@???> :

> Hi,
>
> Chre wrote (27 Jul 2015 04:44:25 GMT) :
> > I review this commit:
> > http://git.tails.boum.org/elouann/tails/commit/?h=translation&id=a2c64014f414d1a7b7c62ffae9b5a264fda7dd40
>
> > That's ok for I. You can merge it.
>
> It doesn't merge cleanly into current master: tons of conflicts.
> So please someone (elouann?) merge current master into your
> translation branch, and resubmit. Thanks!

I've tried hard, but failed. Unfortunately, I won't have more time to
work on this merge in the next weeks, and hope somebody else will
succeed.

Here is the situation:

* from the branch elouann/translation:
    git fetch elouann translation
    git checkout -b fr-solve-conflicts elouann/translation

* pull from master
    git pull origin master
  this returns indeed tons of conflicts.

* install meld
    # apt-get install meld
  meld is a tool to compare files. Really usefull in that case.

* git mergetool
This opens each problematic file in meld. Local version should be on
the left, remote on the right. Merge in the middle, save, then exit meld.

Two problems I stumbled upon:

* after merging each file and after commiting, I tried to pull again
from origin/master. The very same conflicts appeared again.

* resolving the conflicts this way mixes up *in a single commit* the
modifications made during the conflict-merge and *all* the
differences pulled from origin/master. This is not what we want, as
this commit will be a pain to review. Unless I'm missing a secret
git command.

@ Mercedes508: perhaps splitting your commits in smaller batches may
ease the review process.

I promise a thundering ovation (at least) to the One who will solve this
tricky blocker.

Greetings,
~ elouann