Re: [Tails-dev] Write protection Re: DVD vs. USB: doc needs …

Author: sycamoreone
To: Tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Write protection Re: DVD vs. USB: doc needs adjustments? [Fwd: [tor-talk] USB Sticks for Tails -> CCCamp]
spriver:
>> Suggestion: It would be great if it were possible to automatically
>> > test if a USB storage device is *really* write protected. That
>> > test could be executed while booting Tails and the user could be
>> > informed about the result.
> How can this be performed? I'm interested in the technical procedure
> to achieve this.

I don't have a device I could test this with, but one possible option to
toggle write-protection in software is hdparm(8).

$ hdparm -r0 /dev/sdc

(hdparm wasn't designed for USB devices, but apparently does because of
the many layers of command translation present in the modern disk
drivers system)

Cheers!