Re: [Tails-dev] Write protection Re: DVD vs. USB: doc needs …

Author: Dr. Killswitch, D.V.M.
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Write protection Re: DVD vs. USB: doc needs adjustments? [Fwd: [tor-talk] USB Sticks for Tails -> CCCamp]

If you take an SD flash card and carefully split it I believe you'll find
that the write protect switch is purely an optical interrupt. One position
permits writing, one does not, sensed by the reader. There was some recent
conversation about this on Twitter, complete with images, I forget which
security chatterbox was the source.

I suppose there are a variety of paths to get at driver software and
firmware so that a card with protection enabled would still permit write
access.

The world could use something as fast as SD flash, but secure as as
finalized CD/DVD. Hardware vendors are going to have to adapt to pressure
from the marketplace, and this can not happen soon enough to suit me.