[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation m…

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Hi,

> flapflap:
> I like the idea of emphasizing the "removable" property of the
> media/device instead of the memory technology (flash).

This emphasizes the portability of Tails, which touches on the 'Live
System' aspect.

> As u has said, it does not matter what kind of technology is used to
> store the information ... the device is mainly characterized by its
> interfaces to the computer and
> to the user.

I would go further and say that the device is most commonly
characterized by its function, in this case, storage. 'Storage Device'
appears to be the most reduced form of the options considered thus far,
and converts to 'Tails Device' quite nicely. Also, using the word
'Storage' addresses the single/multi write ambiguity, although not so
directly. The descriptor would be 'Removable Device Storage', with
'Removable' being dropped upon convertion to 'Tails Device' since the
concept of portability has been established by this point.

This approach is an issue when we introduce SD cards, that is, if there
appear to be issues installing-to/booting-from them. However, for us,
Flash storage should just be considered removable storage, especially if
we are using the overlook-storage-technology logic to to help navigate
the discussion. [Though, if there are technical differences in the
formats that inhibit/enhance a device as a Tails device, detailed
explanations would be useful.

A resolution to this could be to list reccommended
devices/manufacturers, so we can say 'Storage Device' and, when needed,
direct people to the list of devices [most of which might have USB
interfaces].

> sajolida:
>>
>> intrigeri:
>> [...] and now I'm tempted to suggest treating SD cards as a corner
>> case.
>>

> To me this feels like the first question we need to answer and agree
> upon (before going into more terminology details):
>
> Do we want to advertise SD cards as much as we advertise USB sticks, or
> do we want to treat them as a corner case?
>
> Based on this decision:
>
> - If SD cards are corner cases, then we can talk always about "USB
> sticks" as we have been doing so far, and only mention SD cards as an
> alternative in some particular places (like in the installation
> instructions).
> - If SD cards are no corner cases, then we need to find a generic term
> we have been trying to do for a while but that's apparently more
> tricky.

The later moves us to 'Storage Device'.

Most people have an SD card, as they most likely own a digital camera or
a cellular phone. However, when moving information from one computer to
another, or for remotely storing any kind of computer information,
people think of, and use, USB Flash Storage Devices.

Though we would no longer be advertising or making recommendations about
the device upon reference with the use of 'Removable Storage Device' as
a descriptor, we could order the recommended device list with USB Flash
Storage Devices first.

Wordlife,
Spencer