Re: [Tails-dev] Raspberry Pi relay or exit node

Author: Jannis Wiese
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Raspberry Pi relay or exit node
Hi!
> On 21.06.2015, at 22:43, Impact Media Productions <dvassist@???> wrote:
>
> I am willing to donate a significant portion of my available bandwidth
> using Raspberry Pi builds, but I am not a developer and I cannot seem
> to find a working tutorial on how to get an image up and running.

I think you’re on the wrong mailing list ;-)
As I understand, you want to configure your Raspberry Pis as Tor relays or exit nodes, right? You should try the Tor relay mailing list [0].

> I would venture a guess and say that there are probably a LOT of
> people like me out there would would spend the money on a Pi and plug
> it in to donate bandwidth, if they had a way to download an image that
> only required a few tweaks to get up and running.
>
> Is anyone in the group willing to create a base image and some easy to
> follow instructions for how to get a Pi up and running as as a relay
> or even an exit node?

I’m one of those people and my Pi runs since a couple months as a relay [1]. Unfortunately, there’s no image whatsoever you could download and just plug in to have it up and running - but I can tell you how it’s done. You need a bit of Linux/Unix knowledge, though.
First off, you need a Raspbian [2] image on your micro SD card, use this guide [3] as a how-to.

Once your Pi is up and running, do the usual apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to get the latest updates for Raspbian.

Now for the tricky part. I recommend using the official Tor project apt repository to get the latest packages, so I would use option two here [4]. Raspbian is based on Debian Wheezy, and as you’ve got the Raspberry Pi Version 2 (it’s using the correct armhf architecture), you can just follow the guide with “I run Debian stable (Wheezy) and want Tor version experimental-0.2.6.x”.
You then continue with step two here [5].

When you’re done with that, your relay is up and running.

> I have (2) Pi version 2 units sitting here ready to go that I could
> use as either relays or nodes.

By the way, it’s not possible to have more than one relay with one IP address. So if you want to run the relay from home (as I do), you can use only one of the Pis.