Re: [Tails-dev] Making a Fork of TAILS Without Non-Free Firm…

Author: intrigeri
To: genghiskant
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Making a Fork of TAILS Without Non-Free Firmware
Hi,

[please don't Cc me when replying, I read the list]

genghiskant@??? wrote (06 Jun 2015 19:44:37 GMT) :
> The community of TAILS users and developers would benefit from
> having a fork that abides by the Free Software Foundation's free
> system distribution guidelines.

That's a worthy goal, and I'm glad someone is ready to tackle it.

If forking is your preferred solution, for what it's worth that's
totally fine by me. (I'm writing "for what it's worth", because even
if the idea of such a fork was bothering me, the license we use to
publish our work gives you the freedom to fork anyway :)

Still, note that another option would be to work within the Tails
project to make it possible for users to choose to use Tails in
a DFSG/FSF-compatible way; ideas in this area have been floating
around for years, but I'm not aware of any serious research having
lead to practical conclusions, hence the status-quo. I guess that
going this way may be a little bit harder than a fork in the
beginning, but on the long run the time/energy required by maintenance
would be greatly decreased.

Anyway: in both cases, presumably you'll start by stating your goals
in more details. Once this is done, then we can see how doable it
would be to reach them within Tails itself => please consider pinging
us again once you've reached this milestone. Thanks in advance!

> could I request a copy of the TAILS source code and make the
> fork myself?

It's available online: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/

And if, in the end, you decide that starting a fork is really what you
need/want: good luck :)