Re: [Tails-dev] TOR browser addon Adblock Plus vs. uBlock

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TOR browser addon Adblock Plus vs. uBlock
Hi,

L.R. D.S.:
>> We want to take as many components as possible directly from Debian to
>> reduce the number of install sources and to keep the differences to a
>> normal Debian low.
>
> So what? What a BS, forgive me. Adblock Plus is not on Debian repository and
> it's on Tails. Same for others addons on TBB shipped with Tails.
> If you guys don't want to audit it, we understand. But don't make such BS, you
> loose your trust on community doing this.

First of all, please read our code of conduct [1]. If that is too long,
then I'd like to remind its basic guideline: Be excellent to each other.

Now, concerning the inclusion of add-ons. As Tails ships Tor Browser, if
Tails includes add-ons that the original Tor Browser does not have, this
makes Tails users more distinguishable, and thus reduces the anonymity
set. We have discussed this issue on this mailing list several times in
the past. [2]

This does by no means mean that it can't be rediscussed, but please
discuss it with those informations in mind.

The same also goes for other addons which are not part of upstream Tor
Browser. If you want them included by default, I might suggest to ask
the Torproject first.

And in any case you can install them on your Tails device if you like.

Cheers!
u.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/code_of_conduct/
[2] see this thread: