Re: [Tails-l10n] translation infrastructure - options: Webla…

Author: emmapeel
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] translation infrastructure - options: Weblate
Hello:
sajolida:
> emmapeel:
>> REQUIREMENTS:
>
> When I read that all our requirements were met with Weblate I got the
> feeling that it was the perfect solution ...
>
>> Workflow proposal:
>
> ... but when I read your proposed workflow a few doubts arose.
>
>> - When a new file needs to be translated, I need to create a new
>> 'component' on Weblate, linked to the .po file, and it will be available
>> to all translators.
>
> Do we need to manual notify and create a "component" whenever a new file
> is available for translation in our repo? Because if Weblate can't do
> that automatically then this doesn't really "pull automatically from our
> main Git repo". Well, somehow, but that's suboptimal...

There are scripts to import .po files that create components, but new
.po files on the repo have to be added to the Weblate database to become
a 'component'.
The import script had some issues with our tree structure but at the end
imported all the different translations. You will not need to tell it to
update if new strings are added to the .po file.

> And then, how are those "components" displayed to the user? Are their
> organized automatically according to the structure of our file system?
> Do you have screenshots of how to whole structure of the Git repo is
> displayed to the user?

The files are just displayed by its name, there is no tree structure on
the translator/website view. Translators with more privileges have
access to repo views where you can see the repository structure, and in
all the 'components' you have the file path as information, but you
don't see this on the website.

I have added some screenshots to the ticket,
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9049 , but maybe it is easier to
browse the projects hosted by weblate at
https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/

>> - when a .po file has been reviewed, download it from the web interface
>
> As a core developer with commit bit, do I really have to go through the
> web interface to download the latest translations? If so, then this
> doesn't match the requirement stated as "so that core developers only
> have to fetch reviewed translations from there".

Well, you could also pull the Weblate repo and fetch the changes from
there. This is one workflow, but we can do more automated pushes from
Weblate repo to others, and always can use git from the Weblate server
repository.

You could also give commit permissions to the Weblate instance, and it
will commit the changed files. Here more information:

http://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/admin/continuous.html#merge-or-rebase

>> - Weblate could pull automatically the tails repo without any safety
>> problems for us.
>
> So I have to manually activate a component, but then it's pulled
> automatically?

I mean the components already added will be updated when they have
changes coming from tails/master, as new strings or such.