Re: [Tails-l10n] translation infrastructure - options: Webla…

Author: emmapeel
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] translation infrastructure - options: Weblate
hi:

intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
>> - allow translating topic branches without confusing translators,
>> causing duplicate/premature work, fragmentation or merge conflicts --
>> e.g. present only new or updated strings in topic branches; see
>> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2015-March/002102.html for
>> details PROVIDED
>
> May you please elaborate on how this is done? (Supporting this is
> merely a MAY, but given weblate supports branches already, doing it in
> a way that don't let people waste time is IMO >>MAY).

Because weblate has a database, and once you have translated the strong
it goes there. If another .po file also has that string, it will appear
as a suggestion. And if the same string has different translations
(including no translation at all) it will appear on the 'inconsistent
translations' section.

You can also lock a file when you are translating it.

Also I have noticed it is hard to get the first batch of core pages
translated to have the language on the website, giving momentum to the
translation and making become a lighter work. This process will be
centralised on the weblate server and there will not be lots of
different repos with just some strings translated.