Re: [Tails-l10n] Bug reports about translations [Was: Discus…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Bug reports about translations [Was: Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input]
Hi,

Muri Nicanor wrote (29 Mar 2015 10:32:29 GMT) :
>> [...]
>>> i think it also would be great to have some kind of bug reporting
>>> feature for missing strings, missing pages, wrong or outdated
>>> translations...
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand correctly what this idea is about:
>>
>>  * Who would be the target audience?
>>    (Users, and/or translators, and/or anyone else?)
> all of those ;) anyone who finds a bug in translations and wants to
> report it (like the bug reports in redmine - oke, i just saw, that there
> is already a 'translate' tag in redmine...)

OK, I see. Let's try to define the problem better before we jump to
candidate solutions. I see three potential problems:

* letting users report about problems in translations: IMO it's
simpler for users if they just do it using the existing bug
reporting channels; our troubleshooting doc would become too
complicated IMO if we need to tell users "to report translation
issues, go there and use this tool; to report other kinds of
issues, go to that other place and use that other tool"

* letting translators know about problems reported by users: it's
front-desk's job to forward such reports to the relevant people,
including -l10n@

* translators' todo-list management: we have Redmine if anyone
needs this.

So, I'm very much unconvinced that we need yet another bug
reporting tool.