[Tails-ux] underlay for UX or blueprints

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] underlay for UX or blueprints
Hi,

While doing the wrap up of our UX sprint in Paris, we felt the need to
adjust our infrastructure to the way we work on the assistant (and
probably on more UX projects in the present and the future).

I'm sending a copy to tails-ux to let them know that this discussion is
going on but I think that it belongs to tails-dev.

Our needs are:

  - Sharing many files that are not plain text. We work a lot with
    office documents of all kinds (Calc, Draw, Impress). We try to keep
    them Git friendly by using flat XML but even that can quickly fill
    megabytes. We will start working on web prototypes (development
    HTML, images, CSS, JavaScript, etc.).
  - Keeping historical versions of documents available for comparison
    without having to go through Git history (eg. available on the
    website).
  - Allow more people (eg. tchou) to push web prototypes that can be
    built by ikiwiki and viewed online.
  - Reduce the impact of our work on the size of the main repo while
    not refraining us to share as many documents as we like while
    working on a project. Those can be removed from the working tree
    and website once the project is over.

So I thought about having a second underlay for our blueprint section
with more people allowed push rights. I think that would solve the needs
expressed above.

The downsides I could identify so far are:

  - Extra sysadmin and infrastructure complexity.
  - Additional Git work when moving stuff from blueprint to production
    (eg. design documents).
  - Additional Git work when setting up a working environment for new
    contributors.
  - Possible security issues in case the underlay spills stuff out on
    the production website. Could this happen?

Does this look like a good idea?

I'll refrain myself from pushing the documents we produced so far before
sorting this out.

--
sajolida