[Tails-ux] locale in the greeter [was: Greeter mockups]

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] locale in the greeter [was: Greeter mockups]
Alan,

>>> Alan:
>>> Understood. We do NOT plan to support these details from the greeter,
>>> only the region used to determine formats.
>>>

>> Spencer:
>> Okay. I am not really sure what this means.
>>

> Alan:
> Please read:
> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E26033/glmbx.html
>
> We only planned to support LANG, LC_ALL, and the keyboard layout.

Okay, If I understand correctly, we are using the LC_ALL variable to
allow people to change their Local setting without it changing their
other Language settings, right?

But there are four: Text Language, Keyboard Language, Formats, and Time
Zone. Does Local address both Formats, and Time Zone? If so, with the
LC_ALL variable, wont one always affect the other?

>> What does this look like?
>> Is there an existing wireframe/visual for 'Formats' other than the
>> blueprint and more recent greeter mock-up, or at least a content
>> outline?
>> I am not finding anything on-line.
>>

> No, sorry. I think of a list of available locales (basically countries)

We should know more about what this looks like, at least with the pop
over. Oracle, for example, is telling me that 2+2=[a number equal to
twice each number, and that the number could be set as 3+1, 0+4, or even
2+2], but they are not explicitly saying, or showing me, that 2+2=4, so
I still don't know what this could look like in context to decision
making, especially given the examples I provided regarding the different
order in which some local informed formats can exist. However, Oracle
does touch on the cultural context of local-based formatting in the
following section, though they explicitly state that they separate the
two and that their environment "saves the information outside the
application", how does that affect what we are doing? Will people not
be able to make these more nuanced cultural-dependent format changes?
Or is there somewhere else in Tails that they can?

Since I think it is very important to know what this looks like, as it
is a part of our greeter interface development, I think we should begin
to explore this architectural structure. When you did your mockups, were
they coded and fully functional? If so, did you create pop overs for
each of the three stacked language options? If not, and your mockups
were just visual, I can start with some new IA, that is, keeping in line
with the information you just linked me to as well as using structures
you have in mind or are already in existing things you can direct me to.

It is usually a benefit to have an entire architectural structure of
information before mockups are developed, as the structure of the
smallest part can heavily influence the structure of the largest. If
this is cool with you, I would love to start, since we are waiting on
tchou's feedback and this can fit right in, no matter the direction we
head.

Wordlife,
Spencer