Re: [Tails-dev] State of TAILS accessibility with Orca

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] State of TAILS accessibility with Orca
Hi,

Alan wrote (15 Mar 2015 10:55:08 GMT) :
> We could add basic greeter accessibility as a requirement of the
> revamp (setting #7500 as a subtask of #8230). Thoughs?

I'm personally torn.

On the one hand, it's tempting to take benefit from the momentum the
Greeter's code base will see, as part of this revamp, to also sneak in
improvements such as accessibility support.

On the other hand, that revamp process was started years ago, and
I still have no idea when we can ship *something* better that our
current Greeter. So adding requirements now feels like a slippery
slope, that might contribute to turn the whole process into something
depressing that never ends.

Now, I'd like to see, in the requirements for the new Greeter,
something like "make sure it is compatible with easily adding support
for accessibility tools in the future". And IMO "accessibility tools"
cannot be limited to a screen reader in this context -- GNOME Shell's
accessibility menu offers no less than 9 other features, and:

* at least one of them (screen keyboard) needs some window management

* some of them cannot be started by keyboard shortcuts only, because
they are precisely meant to enable anyone to use the system,
regardless of their ability to type keyboard shortcuts => we'll
probably need some way to start such tools without using the
keyboard, which likely requires integrating some widget one can use
with a pointing device only in the Greeter's UI, somehow.

Alan: I assume you'll relay any relevant information from this email
to tails-ux@. If you don't want to do that, please tell me what
I should do with it to ensure it's taken into account when designing
the new greeter.