Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Author: Diddly-Squat
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:10:52 +0000
sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:

> Sending with ban@??? in copy.
>
> spencerone@???:

> >> I would suggest to use more explicits words like "Securely delete
> >> files" and "Securely clean available disk space" like in the Tails
> >> online documentation
> >> (https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/secure_deletion/index.en.html)
>
> I agree that something about "secure" should be in there. As it is the
> key issue here: we are not only "delete" files as usual but "wiping"
> them, aka "securely deleting" them. See our doc.
>
> > I agree with being more explicit, though, given that the name of the
> > Nautilus file manager tool is Nautilus Wipe, 'Wipe' seems most
> > appropriate.

If something changes in regards to the menu selection, the help info
for Nautilus refers consistently to using wipe or wiping. And the term
is ubiquitous in Nautilus (menus, dialogs, etc).

The term "secure delete" seems to be used more in corporate settings,
or maybe it's going otu of style (if ti ever was in style). Even at
Symantec, "secure delete" is used only parenthetically in their PGP
Shredder tool.

The terms "data wiping" "data erasing" and to a lessor extent "data
clearing" seem to be fairly standard. Even Wikipedia
redirects "secure delete" to "data erasure". Personally, I kind of like
shredding. So, IMO Nautilus'use of "wipe" doesn't seem out of place.

Having the Tails menu selection of simply "wipe" might be improved by
changing to "Data wipe".

> Right, then the question is: can we consider replacing all occurrences
> of "wipe" with "secure deletion", even in the name of the action in
> the right-click menu?
>
> >     - Action: 'Delete Files'
> >     - Title: 'Nautilus Delete'
> >     - Progress: 'Deleting files...'

> Building up on the example of the archive extraction, the title of the
> window is the short and generic term of the action as a noun, so I
> would say (adding "secure" on top of that):
>
> For files:
>
>     - Action: Securely delete
>     - Title: Secure Deletion

In the case of a UI element the title would be "Secure delete"

>     - Progress: Securely deleting file xyz

> For disk space:
>
>     - Action: Securely clean disk space
>     - Action: Secure Cleaning

In the case of a UI element the title would be "Secure clean"

>     - Progress: Securely cleaning disk space on /media/xyz

I think changing the term when talking about files versus disk spaces
is a mistake. that is, of you use "Secure delete" when speaking about
files use "Secure delete" also when speaking about disk space. It is
consistent now when using Wipe and Wipe available disk space.