Re: [Tails-dev] How to replace the green onion [was: What do…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] How to replace the green onion [was: What do we miss to replace Vidalia]
Alan:
> intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> Alan wrote (20 Feb 2015 19:43:10 GMT) :
>>> [About the green onion]

>>> I don't think it's the way to go:
>>
>>> - I'd like Tor Monitor to stay a generic application, with a clear
>>> focus on being a monitor for Tor and showing whatever icon on the
>>> desktop doesn't look like the same task for me.
>>
>> IMO the "providing feedback regarding Tor connectivity status" feature
>> fits pretty well into the "monitoring Tor" mission. Perhaps we don't
>> put the same meaning behind "monitoring Tor".
>>
> Ok. You have a point here. This could be argued as some "desktop
> integration" of the application.

Meta: it's getting hard for me to follow the technical side of all this.
I'm still maturing the UX side of things... Beware!

Following-up on the ideas of:

- Keeping the green onion as a permanent visual feedback on the desktop.
- Not breaking too much of what people have been used to unless we
have a good (UX) reason to do so (keeping what works in Vidalia).
- Integrating Tor Monitor nicely on the desktop.
- Considering the green onion and the list of circuits as part of the
same user task of "monitoring tool".

I hereby propose to have the list of circuits accessible directly from
the green onion as it is the case now in Vidalia. But I'm not sure how
this fits with your architectural plans and related security implications.

Alan, I'm not sure what are the implications of the deprecation of
System Tray Icons as I couldn't find anything about that in the GNOME
HIG. But in Tails Jessie we still have various custom widgets in the top
bar that expend to more features when you act on them: the Florence
keyboard and the OpenPGP Applet. So I guess this is still acceptable...

--
sajolida