Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
spencerone@???:
> Attached is a visual exploration of what the Check & Go greeter screen
> could look like. It explores the Advanced Configuration flow upon edit,
> as the Basic Configuration [Walkthrough] flow is self explanatory with
> each step isolated on its own individual screen.
>
> In short, it attempts to consolidate as much of the existing flow
> fragmentation as possible. There is a more detailed explanation on the
> document itself.
>
> I hope it addresses the existing decisions as you intended, if not, we
> can figure it out together :)

Thanks for working on this. I'll comment on your proposal based on
actual tickets that we have to solve.

#8968: Redesign the "language" section

I like the simpler way of displaying all the language options one of top
of each other as this would solve #8968. Still, I would have those
options directly editable (without having to click "Edit"). You might
have argued in favor of that choice later in the thread, though.

#8976: Consider merging "basic" and "advanced" screens

I'm not convinced by the idea of displaying the advanced options on the
first screen. And for several reasons:

- It adds more information than need to newcomers, while we are
working hard to making the default options not harmful in the general
case. So with your proposal, someone new to Tails would be faced with
jargon such as "Mac Spoofing" with as much importance as "Keyboard
Language".
- Advanced options might grow bigger in the future, and we might then
have problems showing everything on a single screen. Having a dedicated
screen for "Advanced" options would be less problematic to this regard.

A solution to both problems could be to rely on "tabs" or "views" as we
proposed with Alan on
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/652/greeter2.png.

Still, I'm conscious that this might be antagonist to the idea of #8974
(Feedback to the user which options are going to be used). But then
maybe we don't have to push that information to the user if she doesn't
diverges from the default settings.

#9004: Reword the "remember" options for language settings

I'm worried by the fact that you placed the "Save" button below all the
other settings. The idea here is the allow for saving the language
options only (as all the other ones might have privacy implications).
Remember that our last consensus had it as part of the "Language"
section. See
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/greeter-1st-screen.png.
But still, apparently this has to be improved upon, so let's keep this
in mind.

#8244: Decide if we want to keep the wording "Quick setup"

I'm all for the wording "Basic" and "Advanced" which we have been using
in that thread. But I think that making it clear that some options are
"basic" and some are "advanced" is a way to keep the information load
lower for newcomers. When #8976 says 'Consider merging "basic" and
"advanced" screens', I think that we should work on having both sets of
options accessible without having to through a sequence (like our latest
consensus does) but not by making them all visible all the time.

#8776: Rename "Start" button as "Start Tails"

I see that you are in favor of "Start Tails". I'll all for it as well.