Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #8957 Add paperkey (and more printer…

Author: Alexander Mette
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #8957 Add paperkey (and more printer drivers)
Hi,

On 28/02/15 09:47, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alexander Mette wrote (27 Feb 2015 18:02:50 GMT) :
>> I propose two patches to provide additional OpenPGP off-line paper key
>> backup functionality that you can find attached to this e-mail.
>
> Yay, thanks a lot! \o/
>
>> First one adds the paperkey package as explained in
>
>>     https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8957

>> to allow printing out secret keys in as short and easily retrievable
>> form as possible.
>
> I've flagged that one as Ready for QA, for the next major Tails
> release (1.4). You can do this yourself next time. The gory details
> are documented there:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/merge_policy/#index2h1

ok, sounds good.

> Any taker for the review, or does this fall into the fallback case,
> that is on the release manager's plate?
>
> [Meta: since it's -- I believe, very sorry if I'm forgetting past
> contributions -- Alexander's first code contribution, I would find it
> very nice and welcoming if his patches were reviewed promptly.]

Many thanks for the warm welcome! And yes, it's my first contribution to
Tails. If my handle sounds familiar to you, it might be due to a patch I
submitted for backupninja some time ago.

Done: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8994

> Once my following question has been answered, you may directly flag
> that ticket for 1.4, as Ready for QA, and pointing back to this thread
> so that the reviewer can easily find your patch.

Will do.

>> It pulls in libgutenprint2 and overall costs about 8.2MB. I do think
>> it's worth it though to provide a properly air-gapped system for
>> secure generation and backup of PGP keys that never has to connect
>> to the internet.
>
> Is this number (8.2MB) the increase of the resulting ISO size, when
> compressed with the default (slooooow but very efficient) settings,
> or anything else?

Oooh, right, sorry for the confusion. This number is the sum of the
sizes of the packages (printer-driver-gutenberg and libgutenprint2) as
reported by "aptitude show <packagename>". Should I find out about
actual increase in ISO size or do we trust the compression handling this
efficiently enough?

cheers
amette

--