[Tails-dev] [RFC] UX for ISO verification + Tails Installer …

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, u, giorgio
Subject: [Tails-dev] [RFC] UX for ISO verification + Tails Installer + full upgrades [was: ISO verification automation proposals]
sajolida:
> In the process of reworking globally the bootstrapping workflow for
> Tails, we brainstormed, together with tchou, on the idea of further
> automating the ISO verification process.

We followed up on this work, after some feedback from intrigeri, and I
pushed some new blueprints that I am submitted for your review.

I'm putting Giorgio and u in explicit copy and this has to do with work
they committed to.

This now touches three important aspects of the bootstrapping process:

- ISO verification
- Tails Installer
- Full upgrades

ISO verification
----------------

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/verification

After discussing more the implementation aspects of our ISO verification
automation proposals (see previous email), we pretty much decided on
keeping the ISO verification useful and minimal in the extension over
2015, and try in the future to push more extension verification logic in
Tails Installer as a complement.

Now we need to work on:

- #8849: Technical specifications for ISO verification extension
(me, Giorgio, and probably intrigeri). More on that in a bit.
- #8564: Design a wireframe of the ISO verification extension
(tchou and me). More on that at the end of March more likely.

Tails Installer
---------------

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/installer

We designed scenarios for Tails Installer outside of Tails, and are
proposing interface improvements for 2015, and later. This covers #7064:
Design scenario and features for a Tails Installer package in Debian.

u, please have a look at the section called "2015" and tell us what you
think. Do that seem feasible to you.

Notes:

- Instead of having to write a custom splash screen for Tails Installer
outside of Tails we are proposing to get rid of it and have a "Clone"
button on the main interface when running inside Tails. This changes
a bit the work that was planned so far, but I'm not sure whether this
is actually *more* work.

- The autodetection logic for Tails USB stick is already in Tails
Installer, we're proposing to use it in a different code path.

- The command line interface wouldn't be a blocker but I think that it
exist already and might need a bit of refresh.

- The rewording and graphics are to be taken care off by tchou and me.
Maybe we'll have to learn a bit of Python GTK...

So please, check this out and then we'll move on implementing this in
Redmine once we agree on something.

And feel free to volunteer for the "Bonus 2015" section if you want :)

Full upgrades

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/upgrade

Full upgrades scenarios are currently almost as messy as first
installation scenarios and we want to improve on that. The idea on the
long run is to move them out of Tails Installer and have self full
upgrades handled by Tails Upgrader. In the meantime we want to advertise
better the existing possibilities to the user.